THE IMPORTANCE OF THE FAMILY FOR GENEALOGICAL STRUCTURE OF VOLYN BEEF OF CATTLE
One of the ways of increasing level of animal economically useful traits is selection work with farm families. In pedigree cattle breeding of Ukraine families are a statistical component of breed genealogy. Among the main scientific works on working with families, it should be noted minimum number of female ancestors, proposed by D. T. Vinnichuk, to determine the breeding value, different categories, classification and techniques for evaluating related groups of females.
The aim of our research was to analyse importance of farm families for genealogical structure of the breed.
The research was on basis of data of primary breeding records at the herd of Volyn Beef cattle of “Zorya” breeding farm, Kovel district, Volyn region. Akula 102, Galka 37 and Galka 1537 families belonging to Krasavchyk 3004 bloodline, Smorodyna 613, Korona 2382 and Visla 1016 families – Tsebryk 3888 bloodline, Kalyna 212, Verba 1536 and Garna 536 families – Yamb 3066 bloodlines, Kazka 433, Galka 421 and Bystra 1124 families – Buinyi 3042 bloodline, Rozetka 1313, Arfa 599 and Bulana 943 families – Sonnyi-Kaktus 3307-9828 bloodline, and Palma 275, Desna 870 and Veselka 444 families – Mudryi 9100 bloodline were characterized. Belonging to a bloodline was determined by the father's side of female ancestors. Structural units of families: branches, branching with identifying the best individuals on breeding traits were submitted to identify the best combinations and successful use of closely related breeding.
Comparing assessment of related groups of females on the main breeding traits belonging to Krasavchyk 3004 bloodline, it was noted that the cows of Akula 102 family predominated in live weight at 5 years’ age, milk ability and economic use duration, whereas the cows of Galka 1537 family – on traits of reproductive ability. Smorodyna 613 family of Tsebryk 3888 bloodline had high duration of economic use and cows’ live weight at 5 years’ age compared with Korana 2382 and Visla 1016 families with equal values of the exterior traits (height measures) and coefficient of reproductive ability. The families of Mudryi 9100 bloodline in terms of reproduction (calving interval, coefficient of reproductive ability) had the highest figures of cows’ milk ability and live weight.
The cows of Bulana 943 family had a considerable predominance over representatives of Rozetka 1313 and Arfa 599 families of Sonnyi-Kaktus 3307-9828 bloodline by main economically useful traits. High indices of reproductive ability were noted in these families. Heifers of the families of Buinyi 3042 bloodline had high live weight at 18 months’ age at average values of milk ability and cows’ live weight at 5 years’ age.
More equal figures of growth rate, exterior and economic use duration were observed in the cows of Kalyna 212, Verba 1536 and Garna 536 families of Yamb 3066 bloodline.
Breeding by families in beef cattle breeding is an important element of selection, because it allows to evaluate not only related group of female ancestor, but also to analyse a successful combination with lines and purposeful use of closely related breeding by the best representatives of a breed.
2. Babenko, O. I, V. P. Oleshko, and V. Yu. Afanasenko. 2016. Prohnozovanyy henetychnyy prohres u populyatsiyakh molochnoyi khudoby za vykorystannya riznykh metodyk otsinky i vidboru tvaryn – Predicted genetic progress in dairy cattle populations by use of different methods of evaluation and selection of animals. Rozvedennya i henetyka tvaryn – Animal Breeding and Genetics.51:27–34 (in Ukrainian).
3. Vinnychuk, D. T. 1978. Dyferentsiatsiya i otsinka rodyn koriv – The differentiation and evaluation of families of cows. Rozvedennya ta shtuchne osimeninnya velykoyi rohatoyi khudoby – Breeding and artificial insemination of cattle. 10:6–11 (in Ukrainian).
4. Dubin, A. M. 2002. Do pytannya otsinky rodyn koriv u molochnomu skotarstvi – By question of assessing the families of cows in the dairy cattle. Naukovo-tekhnichnyy byuleten' / In-t tvarynnytstva UAAN – Scientific and technical bulletin / Institute of Animal Science of UAAS. 81:47–50 (in Ukrainian).
5. Klochko, I. M., and Z. S. Hrokha. 1973. Systematyka ta otsinka rodyn koriv (na prykladi symental's'koyi porody) – Systematics and evaluation cow families (for example, Simmental) Molochno-m"yasne skotarstvo – Milk and beef cattle. 32:24–30 (in Ukrainian).
6. Pavlenko, O. K. 2008. Holshtyns'ka poroda u tablytsyakh i skhemakh. Dvadtsyate stolittya – Holstein breed in tables and diagrams. Twentieth century. Kyiv, Ahrarna nauka, 88 (in Ukrainian).
7. Plokhinskiy, N. A. 1969. Rukovodstvo po biometrii dlya zootekhnikov – Guidance on biometry for zootechnicians. Moskow, Kolos, 256 (in Russian).
8. Podryezko, H. M., and Yu. V. Vdovychenko. 2010. Osoblyvosti formuvannya henealohichnoyi struktury stada znam"yans'koho typu polis'koyi m"yasnoyi porody – Features of formation genealogical structure of Znamensky type herd Polissya meat breed. Naukovyy zbirnyk Visnyk Stepu – Scientific Journal Bulletin steppe. 7:189-193(in Ukrainian).
9. Samusenko, A. I. 1981. Osnovnye printsipy selektsionnoy raboty s vysokoproduktivnymi semeystvami v zavodskikh stadakh – The basic principles of plant breeding with highly productive families in the factory herds. Kniga vysokoproduktivnogo krupnogo rogatogo skota simmental'skoy i sychevskoy porod – The book is highly productive cattle and Simmental breeds Sychevka. Moskow, Kolos. І:59–65 (in Russian).
10. Timchenko, A. G. 1993. Ispol'zovanie materinskogo effekta pri sozdanii znamenskoy porody myasnogo skota – Use of maternal effect in creating Znamenskaia breed beef cattle. Novoe v porodoobrazovatel'nom protsesse – New breed in the process. Ukr. akad. agrar. nauk. In-t razved. i genet. zhivotnykh – Ukr. Acad. agrarian. Sciences. Institute of breeding. and genet. animals. 110–111 (in Ukrainian).
11. Timchenko, A. G., and V. M. Pivtorak. 1987. Myasnaya produktivnost' aberdin-angusov i ikh ispol'zovanie v vosproizvoditel'nom skreshchivanii – Meat productivity of Aberdeen Angus and their use in reproductive crossing. Katalog myasnogo skota sozdavaemogo volynskogo tipa – Catalog of beef cattle produced Volyn type. Kyiv, Urozhay. 35-44 (in Ukrainian).
12. Ladyka, V., H. Kotendzhi, I. Rubtsov, Y. Sirats'kyy, O. Kostenko, N. Radchenko, and H. Shefer. 2007. Ukrayins'ka bura molochna poroda – Ukrainian brown dairy breed. Tvarynnytstvo Ukrayiny – Livestock breeding Ukraine. 2:37–40 (in Ukrainian).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.