METHODICAL BASIS OF CROSSBREEDING USING IN DAIRY CATTLE
The scientific research analysis of crossbreeding using in dairy cattle of guiding countries has been implemented. There has been proved, that positive results of crossbreeding can be only for observing methodical basis of its using. They are: successful selection of initial-breeds, types and plans of theirs crossing, definition of feeding conditions and management of crossbred animals, application of methods of traits valuing, directed selection of bulls.
Methodical bases of crossbreeding using in dairy cattle are following:
- clear determination of main aim of crossbreeding program;
- selection of improve breed may realize not for the most positive but for the less number of traits.
A complementary breed shouldn’t have lower milk productivity but higher level of traits, for the sake of which it is selected to crossbreeding. It should be suitable to concrete system of milk production, have satisfactory population, the ramified genealogy and sufficient number of bulls-improvers.
Plan of crossing significantly influences on the results of crossbreeding. The complex rotational crossing using 3-4 selected unrelated breeds is effective.
The bulls, which are selected to crossbreeding, should have the highest estimation for traits, by which the selection is being carried out. They should be free from of exterior and genetic defects.
The selection level should correspond to pure breeding.
The innerbreed crossbreeding of Ukrainian Red-and-White dairy cows with top bulls of Montbeliarde, Holstein Red-and-White and Fleckvieh breeds has been suggested.
2. Krugliak, A. P., O. D. Biryukova, H. S. Kovalenko, and T. O. Krugliak. 2015. Ukrayins’ka chervono-ryaba molochna poroda – resultat realisatsiyi novoyi teoriyi v skotarstvi. Rosvedennya i henetyka tvaryn – Animal Breeding and Genetics, 50:39–48 (in Ukrainian).
3. Bashchenko, M. I., Yu. P. Polupan, S. Yu. Ryban, and I. V. Basyshyna. 2012. Stan i perspektyvy poridnoho udoskonalennya molochnoho skotarstva i vidnovlennya systemy selectsii buhaiv – Situation and perspectives improvement of dairy stock-breeding and restoring of bulls value sistem. Rosvedennya i henetyka tvaryn – Animal Breeding and Genetics, 46:79–83 (in Ukrainian).
4. Petrenko, I. P., M. V. Zubets’, D. T. Vinnychuk, and A. P. Petrenko. 1997. Genetiko-populiatsiiny procesy pry rosvedenni tvaryn - Genetiko-population processes by animalselection, Kyiv, Ahrarna nauka, 478 (in Ukrainian).
5. Conrad Ferris, P., J. Bradley Heins, and F. Buckley. 2014. Crossbreeding in Dairy Cattle: Pros and Cons. WLDS Advances in Dairy Tehnology, 26: 223–243.
6. Schaeffer, L., E. Burnside. 2011. New research in Canadian crossbreeding useful to U.S. producers. J. Progressive Dairyman, 13:79–83.
7. Vance, E. R. C. Ferris, and C. Elliott. 2011. Food intake, milk production and tissue changes of Holstein-Friesian and Jersey × H. F. dairy cows within a low concentrate input grazing system and high concentrate input total confinement system. J. Dairy Sci, 95:1527–1544.
8. Heins, B. J. L. Hansen, and A. Hasel. 2012. Short communication: Jersey × Holstein crossbreds compared with pure Holsteins for body weight, body condition Score, fertility, and survival during the first three lactations. J. Dairy Sci, 95:4130–4135.
9. Buckley, F., B. Horan, and N. Lopez-Viallalobos. 2007. Milk production efficiency of Varying dairy cow genotipes under grazing conditions. Dairy Sciens Symposium University of Melbourne, September 18–20. Melbourne. 74–87.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.