WE ARE HONORED TO BE THE DISCIPLES OF VALERY BURKAT
The article shows the view of the famous scientist V. P. Burkat on issues of breed-forming process in livestock, evaluation of sires and use of biotechnological methods for cattle breeding, necessity to remember the lessons of classical breeding and to refer to their teachers respectfully as well training of young scientists – future national science. Their views on V. P. Burkat as a teacher who prepared the pleiad of the renowned scientists were expressed by his disciples.
V. P. Burkat advocated improving the zoned cattle breeds through the use of the gene pool of highly productive breeds well adapted to industrial production technology of dairy cattle product, knowing that such move would have not only supporters but also opponents. Agreeing with the need to preserve the gene pool of local cattle breeds, he stressed their entering in the Red Book and breeding in the protected farms with long-term preservation of gametes and embryos in special storage. The scientist was aware that the use of foreign breeds to improve the array of domestic livestock can lead to some decrease of milk fat content and reduction of the period of economic use of cows and he recommended intensive culling of the cows which did not meet the required parameters and providing appropriate conditions of animal feeding for newly created populations. His radical approach in creating arrays of domestic productive and adapted to current technological conditions cattle in a short time was in a choice of a founder of lines and families, creation of new genealogical groups, including synthetic line, software development of large-scale breeding, definition of breeding farms role, implementation of embryo genetic methods, etc. Stressing the tough market conditions of dairy industry in relation to performance of animals, the scientist urged of the need to create state control assistant service and its responsibilities would be to assess of the animals of active population by type of constitution and animal performance accounting. According to V. P. Burkat, development and improvement of new dairy breeds with high genetic potential for milk yield would reduce the number of dairy cows and increase the abundance of beef cattle, which would contribute to development of beef cattle breeding and solve the problem of providing population with high-quality beef. The scientist believed that it was necessary creating a new livestock science – biotechnological selection, which would be a tool of livestock breeding, but not replace classical animal breeding. Caring about the future of science and Institute of Animal Breeding and Genetics, V. P. Burkat initiated a conference of young scientists, where scientific beginners could defend their vision and theory.
Giving way to science for many of his disciples, Valeriy P. often mentioned scientists who gave a start to him in scientific life: M. F. Ivanov, M. A. Kravchenko, F. F. Eisner and many others.
Valeriy P. generously passed the gained knowledge and experience to his disciples, who were his pride. Our teacher, Valeriy P. Burkat was a very and wise prudent man; he did not give promises which performance was impossible, and negative remarks against his employees perceived as his own one. He was an intelligent, thoughtful, serious, noble, cultural and erudite man, professional who solved the issues objectively and fundamentally. If Valeriy P. promised to do something or help, everyone knew it would be fulfilled necessarily. When even he did not agree with something or someone, he always gave the opportunity to express opinion, bring arguments, the evidence of ideas and when beliefs were good he agreed with them. His word was never at odds with the deed. As a creative person, he always supported the original ideas, progressive solutions and innovative approaches.
He was fond of aphorisms, poetry, prose, music and often invited to listen to some composition. He liked reading excerpts of the most beloved works. He was a great patriot of Ukraine, who actively promoted the idea of national development. As a publicist he produced several books, where collected well-known sayings about Ukraine, poems, regulatory documents concerning our country, including "Love your Ukraine ...". Communication with him was curious and easy, primarily as with a wise man, and only then as with the head of the institution.
He taught us to cherish a Ukrainian family by example of love for his family, wife and children, where should rule harmony and order, where a father is a head with all responsibility and deserves respect. Overall, he loved life in all its manifestations using it completely and therefore even now, several years after his death, very difficult to say the words: "knew, worked, was ...". He is a part in each of us, his disciples and so we always express our gratitude for the soul warmth and kindness, wise counsel in the science, love to neighbour and the Ukrainian land, and most importantly we try to be worthy disciples of Valeriy P. Burkat.
2. Burkat, V. P. 1987. Ne za desyatyrichchya, a za kil'ka rokiv (teoriya i praktyka selektsiyi). – Not for a decade and a few years (the theory and practice of selection). Tvarynnytstvo Ukrayiny – Animal Husbandry. 5:42–44 (in Ukrainian).
3. Burkat, V. P. 2000. Tretye tysyacholittya – era biotekhnolohichnoyi selektsiyi – The third millennium – the era of biotechnology breeding. Visnyk ahrarnoyi nauky – Bulleten of Agricultural Science. 12. 118–119 (in Ukrainian).
4. Burkat, V. P. 2002. Problemy teoriyi i praktyky pleminnoyi spravy u tvarynnytstvi – Theory and practice of livestock breeding. Visnyk ahrarnoyi nauky – Bulleten of Agricultural Science. 7. 30–31.
5. Burkat, V. P. 1997. Uroky akademika M. F. Ivanova – The lessons of academic M. F. Ivanov. Vcheni-selektsionery u tvarynnytstvi – Scientists in animal breeding. Kyiv, Ahrarna nauka. 1:73–81 (in Ukrainian).
6. Burkat, V. P. 1997. Nash uchytel' [O F. F. Eysnere] – Our teacher [about F. F. Eysner]. Vcheni-selektsionery u tvarynnytstvi – Scientists in animal breeding. Kyiv, Ahrarna nauka. 1:50–52 (in Ukrainian).
7. Burkat, V. P. 2003. Shanuymosya, bo my toho varti! – Let's be proud of each other so we are worthy. Materialy konferentsiyi molodykh vchenykh ta aspirantiv – Thesis of conference of young scientists and graduate students. Chubyns'ke, 3–4 (in Ukrainian).
8. Zubets', M. V., Yu. F. Mel'nyk, and V. P. Burkat. 2004. Kontseptual'ni pidkhody do formuvannya haluzi m"yasnoho skotarstva Ukrayiny – Conceptual approaches to formation of the beef cattle industry Ukraine. Selektsiya: naukovo-vyrobn. byul – Selection: Scientific and Production Bulletin. 4:7–13 (in Ukrainian).
9. Zubets', M. V., and V. P. Burkat. 1987. Pro radykal'nyy perehlyad teoriyi i praktyky selektsiyi – About a radical revision of the theory and practice of selection. Visnyk ahrarnoyi nauky – Bulleten of Agricultural Science. 11:80–82 (in Ukrainian).
Copyright (c) 2018 Animal Breeding and Genetics
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.