CONNECTION g.307 G > A SNP POLYMORPHISM OF THE ALPHA-FUKOZYLTRASFERAZA 1 GENE WITH ECONOMIC-USEFUL TRAITS IN THE LARGE WHITE PIG BREED
One of the top priorities at the present stage of development of pig breeding remains the development of a set of measures aimed at increasing the resistance animals to various diseases, especially – to colibacteriosis .One of the recent and effective approaches to prevent colibacillosis is using markers of selection; it involves pig genotyping by genome locuses. Chosen locuses are associated with animal sensitivity to the disease and selection of the results of genotyping of animals with increased resistance. Due to researches, one of such locuses is alpha-fukozyltrasferаza 1 gene (FUT1).
Gene FUT1 is located in chromosome 6. As a result of its sequencing in the swine breeds of Large White and Swedish Landrace, single-nucleotide polymorphism (g.307 G > A SNP) has been detected. AA genotype determines the resistance of animals to colibacteriosis, while AG and GG genotypes are susceptible to this disease. According to the results of previous studies, the positive effect of allele A was determined not only on the resistance of pigs to colibacteriosis, but also on indicators of fattening and meat productivity and on reproductive performance.
In Ukraine, the studies of polymorphism FUT1 g.307 G > A SNP were held fragmentedly and only on certain populations of Ukrainian Meat and Large White breed but without establishing its association with the indicators of productivity of pigs.
The aim of our work was to study the genetic structure of Ukrainian Large White breeds, type 1 and the establishment of association. g. 307 G > A SNP FUT1 gene with pigs indicators of productivity. For research the 96 samples of hair were used. DNA isolation from samples with biomaterial were carried out using ion exchange resin Chelex-100. Genotyping was performed by PCR-RFLP by method of Jorgensen et al. (2006).
Using DNA analysis of this breeds locus FUT1 was determined by genetic structure. Allele frequency of allele G (0,573) and allele A (0,427) was established
The distribution of genotype frequencies was not statistically significantly different from the theoretically expected, calculated by the Hardy-Weinberg criterion. Thus, according to the locus of FUT1 g.307 G > A, the breeds investigated are in a state close to the genetic equilibrium.
The negative value of the fixation index by the locus FUT1 g.307 G > A indicates an excess of heterozygotes in the population, and hence the lack of targeted selection for this marker.
The valuation was performed by calculating the PIC (polymorphic information content) – information content of polymorphism marker. In the analyzed pig herd for this marker, the PIC has an average value (0,367), which indicates the high level of polymorphism of the given locus and is favorable for the possibility of conducting a search for links between individual genotypes and indicators of productivity.
To establish the association g.307 G > A SNP FUT1 gene with indicators of animal productivity, a one-way analysis of variance of the experimental data was used. Based on the results of a one-way analysis of variance, a significant effect of the genotypes of the FUT1gene (g.1849 G > C) on the indicator of the average daily weight gain (р ≤ 0,001), the thickness of the bacon at the level of the VI-VII vertebrae (p ≤ 0.01), reaching live weight of 100 kg (р ≤ 0,001) and breeding index of fattening qualities (р ≤ 0,01) was found. The parameter of the influence of the genetic factor on the test feature was 28,54%, 10,4%, 33,4% and 8,8% respectively. According to the investigated indicators of productivity, animals with genotype AA, which determines resistance to colibacteriosis, dominated the animals with genotypes GG and AG.
Based on the results of our research and pre-published data, the multiple effect of the g.307 G > A SNP FUT1 gene is observed, which is associated with the indicators of productivity, which again confirms the polygenicity of the quantitative trait loci of farm animals.
Taking into account a high level of polymorphism of the investigated gene and reliable associations of genotypes with indicators of productivity found, it can be recommended to carry out breeding of pigs using genetic information of the g.307 G > A SNP gene FUT1.
2. Vasyl'yeva, T. B. 2016. Monitorynh epizootychnoyi sytuatsiyi z kolibakteriozu v Ukrayini za period 2004–2015 rr. – Monitoring of epizootic situation with colibacteriosis in Ukraine for the period of 2004–2015. Naukovyy visnyk LNUVMBT imeni S.Z. Gzhyts'koho – Scientific Messenger of Lviv National University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnologies. 18,2(66):30–34 (in Ukrainian).
3. United States Patent № 6,596,923 B1 US, Methods and compositions to identify swine genetically resistant to F18 E. Coli associated diseases. Bosworth et al.; Date of Patent: Jul / 22, 2003.
4. Shejko, I. P., N. A. Loban, and O. J. Vasiljuk. 2005. Razrabotka metodov molekuljarnoj gennoj diagnostiki i ih ispol'zovanie v svinovodstve Belarusi – Development of methods for molecular gene diagnostics and their use in pig production in Belarus. Vescі Nacyjanal'naj akadjemіі navuk Belarusі – Messenger of Belarus National Academy of Science.1:62–66.
5. Wen-Bin Bao, Lan Ye, Zhang-Yuan Pan, Jin Zhu, Guo-Qiang Zhu, Xue-Gen Huang, and Sheng-Long Wu. 2011. Beneficial genotype of swine FUT1 gene governing resistance to E. coli F18 is associated with important economic traits. Journal of Genetics. 90(2):315–318.
6. Konoval, O. M., S. O. Kostenko, V. H. Spyrydonov, and S. D. Mel'nychuk. 2008. Molekulyarno-henetychnyy analiz heniv, asotsiyovanykh iz hospodars'ko korysnymy oznakamy svyni sviys'koyi (Sus Scrofa) – Molecular genetic analysis of genes associated with economically useful traits in Domestic pigs (Sus Scrofa). Visn. Ukr. tovarystva henetykiv i selektsioneriv – Journal of Society of geneticists and breeders. 6(2):240–243 (in Ukrainian).
7. Rudoman, H. S, and V. M. Balats'kyy. 2014. Henetychna struktura svyney velykoyi biloyi porody ukrayins'koyi ta anhliys'koyi selektsiyi za henamy FUT1 i MUC4 asotsiyovanymy z rezystentnistyu tvaryn do kolibakteriozu – Genetic structure of pigs of large white breed of the Ukrainian and English selection for genes FUT1 and MUC4, associated with resistance of animals to colibacteriosis. Svynarstvo. Mizhvidomchyy tematychnyy naukovyy zbirnyk – Pig Breeding. 65:154–161 (in Ukrainian).
8. Zhurina, N. V., M. A. Koval'chuk, and I. S. Petrushko. 2010. Molekulyarno-henetychnyy monitorynh stiykosti svyney bilorus'koyi m"yasnoyi porody do esherykhiozu – Molecular genetic monitoring of the stability of pigs of the Belarusian meat breed to colibacillosis. Naukovyy visnyk NUBiP Ukrayiny. – Scientific Messenger of National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine.151:84–89 (in Ukrainian).
9. Klukowska, J., B. Urbaniak, and M. Switonski. 1999. High frequency of M307a mutation at FUT1 locus, causing resistance to oedema disease, in an autochtonous polish pig breed, the zlotnicka spotted. Anim. Breed. Genet. 116 (6):519–524.
10. Vrtkova, I., V. Matoušek, L. Stehlik, P. Šrubařova, F. Offenbartel, and N. Kernelova. 2007. Genomic markers important for health and reproductive traits in pigs. Research in pig breeding. 2:4–6.
11. Epishko, T. I., M. A. Koval'chuk, N. V. Zhurina, and O. A. Epishko. 2008. Monitoring geneticheskoj ustojchivosti porod svinej razvodimyh v Belarusi k nasledstvennym zabolevanijam: materialy Mezhdunarodnoj nauch. konf, 3–6 dekabrja 2008 g. «Genetika i biotehnologija XXI veka. Fundamental'nye i prikladnye aspekty». Minsk: Centr BGU – Materials of the international scientific conference « Genetics and biotechnology of the XXI century». Minsk : Centre BSU. 183–185.
12. Sayenko, A. M., V. M. Balats'kyy, H. I. Syrovnyev, and V. T. Smetanin. Polimorfizm lokusiv FUT1 ta MUC4 u populyatsiyi svyney ukrayins'koyi m"yasnoyi porody selektsiyi Dnipropetrovs'koho SHI – Polymorphisms in locis FUT1 and MUC4 in the population of Ukrainian Meety breed under selection of Dnipropetrovsk Agrarian Institute. Svynarstvo. – Pig Breeding. 60:76–79 (in Ukrainian).
13. Korinnyy, S. M., K. F. Pochernyayev, and V. M. Balats'kyy. 2005. Sherst' tvaryn yak zruchnyy ob"yekt vydilennya DNK dlya analizu za dopomohoyu PLR – Animal wool is a convenient object for DNA analysis for PCR analysis Veterynarna tekhnolohiya – Veterinary technology. 7:80–83 (in Ukrainian).
14. Peakall, R., and P. E. Smouse. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. 2006. Molecular Ecology Notes. 6:288–295.
15. 2004. Instruktsiya z bonituvannya svyney; Instruktsiya z vedennya pleminnoho obliku u svynarstvi – Instructions for boning pigs; Instruction on keeping breeding records in pig breeding.. Kyiv. PPNV, 64. (in Ukrainian).
16. Plokhynskyy, N. A. 1969. Rukovodstvo po byometryy dlya zootekhnykov – Biometrics guide for livestock breeders. Moscow, 255.
17. Lakin, G. F. 1990. Biometrija – Biometrics. Moscow, Vysshaja shkola, 352.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.