EFFICIENCY OF INTRAUTERINE INSEMINATION IN BREEDING SOWS
Improving of fertility indicators and reproductive qualities of sows during artificial insemination in farms of different specializations is very topical issue. The introduction of artificial insemination of sows on breeding farms by the spermdoses of optimum volume, by the frozen-thawed and sex sperm requires the introduction of innovative reproductive technologies.
The use of economical methods of artificial insemination of sows using a minimum number of sperm in a small volume of spermdose in order to achieve high rates of fertility and prolificacy was proven in numerous experiments of the authors.
Significantly reduced spermdose may be sufficient if the sperm enters deep enough into the uterus. Vitality of sperm does not depend on the size of spermdose, but the best place for sperm to survive one oviducts where they keep the fertilizing capacity from 9 to 27 hours. So deep intrauterine insemination of sows improves conditions for sperm survival
The aim was to study the feasibility and justification for widespread implementation in to production on breeding farms of intrauterine insemination of sows morder to increase their fertilization and prolificacy and to save the boar sperm with the highest index of breeding values.
Experiments were conducted in terms of selection and genetic center of Agrofirm "Mig-Service-Agro" in Mykolaiv region. In the experiment used 65 sows of live weight of 280-320 kg wiht 2-4 farrowing were. Sows in sexual hunting were showed once daily in the morning using a boar-prober. Artificial insemination was performed twice: the first time - in the afternoon and at 14-16 p.m. The second time – in the morning of the next day at 9-10 am. For artificial insemination of sows were ed using experimental spermodes with volume of 40 ml which contained 1.5 billion of a Active sperm. For the dilution of sperm was used Durasperm - KRUUSE (Denmark) the period of sperm perpetuation is 5-7 days. To enter the were semen used catheters Magaplus S, (Spain) for intrauterine insemination of sows.
Analysis shows that the period from weaning to insemination has significant difference comparing sows of large White breed with Landrace breed (p <0.001), with genotype sows F1 (p <0.01) and sows of the Duroc breed (p <0.05).
For all selected 65 sows duration of suckling period, was estimated which averaged 32.2 days and the average time from weaning of pigs to their sexual inclination and the first intrauterine insemination 6.8 days that meets the physiological norm.
After intrauterine insemination of sows of then 48 farrowed, which wich made for 73.9%. іncluding live 5 emergency farrow were obtained, representing 10.4% of all amount. Percentage of farrow is considered physiologically normal – 80%, or more of total insemined sows. The very low percentage of farrow 53.3% had of sows F1, and the highest percentage was found by sows of the Duroc breed – 85.7%. Pregnency of sows were received just 17, which made 26.1% and highest percentage – 46.7% was set by sows F1.
Analysis of the pregnancy sows shows that on average it is 116.2 days was the longest – 117.1 days was set in Landrace breed sows and the short est 115.5 days in Large White breed, but the difference is not significant.
571 pigs were received, іncluding live 451 head, which is 78.9%. The largest percentage of іncluding live piglets obtained from sows F1 – 82.5%, and the lowest in Landrace breeds – 77.0% and Large White – 77.3%.
Exit of all piglets per sow without emergency farrowings is 12.2, іncluding live – 9,8. The highest yield were obtained piglets from sows F1 – 13.1, іncluding live – 10.9, the lowest yield of sows of the Duroc breed – 10.6, іncluding live 9.1, which has significant difference compared with the control (IDPs) and other breeds.
After intrauterine insemination 8 sows showed cyclic deregulation in 20-25 days, ie repeated sexual hunt took place on average 22.3 days. These sows were inseminated by not fractional way, they farrowed and an average litter just 13.1 piglets per sow, іncluding live - 11.3 was obtained. Repeating after intrauterine insemination on 45-48-49 day in the sexual hunt came about three sows for artificial insemination by not fractional method 3 farrowed and was obtained output – 13.3 piglets, іncluding live – 11.7.
It should be noted that the best sow Large White breed №12 after intrauterine insemination bore 16 pigs, іncluding live 11, sow of Landrace breed №1556 – 18 pigs, іncluding live 12, Duroc №5888 – 13 pigs, іncluding live 11, sow F1 №167 – 20 pigs, іncluding live 14 pigs.
Breeding requires more careful handling with major sows taking into account their breeding value and cost, that’s why we believe that there is no need to risk causing injury genitals with intrauterine insemination if a sufficient number of spermdoses of boars-sires exist.
2. Kovalenko, V. F., and S. V. Pilipenko. 2005. Porivnyannya troh metodiv shtuchnogo osimeninnya svinomatok – Comparison of three methods of artificial insemination of sows. Ahrarnyy visnyk Prychornomor"ya – Agricultural Bulletin of Black Sea. 31:103–105 (in Ukrainian).
3. Martyinenko, N. A. 1971. Embrionalnaya smertnost selskohozyaystvennyih zhivotnyih i ee preduprezhdenie – Embryonic mortality of farm animals and its prevention. Kyiv, Urozhay, 299 (in Ukrainian).
4. Pilipenko, S. V. 2005. Rozpodil spermiiv u riznih viddilah matki za tservikalnogo ta glibokogo vnutrishnomatkovogo osimeninnya svinomatok – The distribution of spermatozoa in different parts of uterine cervical and deep intrauterine insemination of sows. Visnik Poltavskoyi derzhavnoyi agrarnoyi akademiyi – Journal of Poltava State Agrarian Academy. 2:125–126.
5. Krueger, C., and D. Rath. 2000. Rath Intrauterine insemination in sows with reduced sperm number. Reprod Fertil Dev. 12:113–117.
6. Martines, E. J. Vargues, S. Rosa, X. Lucas, M. Gil, J. Parrilla, and B. Day. 2002. Minimum number of spermatozoa, reguired for the normal abundance after deeply intrauterine insemination in the non-sedated pigs. Repeated prick. 123:163–170.
7. Watson, P. F., and Behan. 2002. Intrauterine insemination in sows with reduced sperm numbers: results of a commercially based field trial. Theriogenology. 57:1683–1693.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.